As the lock down within the UK starts to lift, what recommendations are there for conceiving with a known donor at this time.
Previously we have recommended online contact only, however we are now confident that at this time recipients can feel safe meeting up with potential sperm donors. Initially we would recommend that these meetings are outside within public spaces such as parks, where the transmission of coronavirus has been found to be significantly reduced.
You may however also choose to invite your donor into your home if you feel safe doing so, but as always recommended never invite a sperm donor into your home for the first time as a single woman without having another person present.
Staying safe and staying alert
Do not invite a donor into your home if either yourself or the donor is experiencing any symptoms of coronavirus to include, fever, cough or loss of taste and smell.
- Maintain social distancing of 2 metres while the donor is in your home.
- Wear face masks where possible but especially if you are within a vulnerable group.
- Take extra measures to prevent transmission by not offering cups of tea, coffee or water.
- Disinfect surfaces which may be touched for example door handles.
- If the donor is donating and has brought a sperm sample within a container, wipe the outside surface with disinfectant, and wash your hands.
- Ideally ask the donor to produce the sample within his own home and travel to pick up the sample while maintaining a safe distance. Sperm can survive several hours within a sample container which allows for travel.
- If the donor is producing a sample within your home (for example bathroom), ensure that you are not entering the room immediately after, and that when you do, all surfaces are wiped down with a disinfectant .
- Wash hands regularly and refrain from touching your nose or mouth.
If you or your donor are experiencing symptoms of COVID-19 and you wish to be tested, you may purchase the home testing kit here.
Buy PCR Home testing swab for COVID-19 with symptoms
Stay safe and good luck on your journey to becoming parents.
The Pride Angel team