Aromatherapy is a gentle therapy that uses natural essential oils to promote emotional and physical health and wellbeing. Oils can be inhaled or applied to the skin when diluted, often through massage.
Aromatherapy can be beneficial in many ways when trying to get pregnant. Certain oils have been shown to assist in regulating the menstrual cycle and promoting a healthy reproductive system. Aromatherapy also aids in relaxation, reducing levels of stress and depression.
Essential oils are highly concentrated plant substances, distilled from roots, seeds, barks and leaves. They are usually costly because of the tiny amounts of oil present in a plant and because of the difficulties in extracting it.
Because essential oils are so concentrated, they should not be applied directly to the skin. Instead a few drops of essential oil can be mixed with some carrier oils like almond oil, wheatgerm oil, jojoba oil or olive oil. This mixture is then used for therapeutic use.
You may choose to see a professional aromatherapist for expert advice on what kind of oils are best for fertility and pregnancy. This is advisable if you have any health problems or are concerned about using essentials oils within pregnancy.
Although you may decide to have a go at using essential oils yourself. Try adding three to four drops of essential oils to 100ml of a carrier oil such as jojoba oil. Use this oil to massage areas of your body such as your abdomen each day for several weeks.
Essential oils may also be added to a bath. Try adding five to ten drops of the oils to a warm bath to reduce stress and anxiety. Alternatively you may use an oil burner, oil burners normally use a candle to heat the essential oil within water to produce a lovely aroma. It is believed that breathing in the oils in this way can be therapeutic.
The following aromatherapy oils may help in relaxation and boosting fertility by balancing hormones.
- Melissa (Balm): a relaxing essential oil which improves your overall mood, Melissa also helps with menstrual problems
- Geranium: a calming oil which is said to have estrogenic properties, which have a balancing effect on hormones. Geranium combines particularly well with rose
- Aniseed oil (Anise): used to relieve menstrual cramps
- Lemon grass: improves immunity, has many health benefits
- Rose: improves mood and relieves feeling of sadness
- Chamomile: a calming essential oil that relieves menstrual ailments such as pain